The proposed development site is located on the side of the valley adjacent to a shaft and engine house for a former copper mine that worked between 1817 and 1874 producing almost 25,000 tons of copper ore. This site has also been used as a telephone exchange and radio hut during the war as well as a private workshop and printers.
It was an interesting challenge to attempt to offer pragmatic cost effective options for safe development for residential use. With risk of contamination and possibility of ground instability the structural integrity of the mine shaft, the surrounding wall and the nearby chimney all to be considered it certainly makes for an interesting project.
Lace House, a detached office building occupied the entire site with the proposal to be converted to residential. Access is by a double width timber doorway set within an impressive stone entrance portico.
The building is constructed in rendered masonry with feature margins and cornicing to the north and east elevations and a timber mansard roof.
Concerns had been raised about potential underground tanks on site due to the former use as a car showroom. To address this issue and any other potential risk due to contamination a pre-sale report was commissioned.
The site was visited, the petroleum officer’s report obtained and a final draft issued for the client’s comment within two weeks of instruction.
The pictures show:
Lace House, above
The view from Lace House towards the promenade, below.
Our brief commenced with a phase 1 desktop study and continued through to the phase 4 verification report.
Elevated levels of hydrocarbons were found in one location, the affected soil was removed and testing undertaken around the perimeter of the excavation prior to refilling with clean material. In other areas the contaminants could be left in place and capped with clean soil in order to reduce the risks to an acceptable level.
During the course of the works an unsightly scrap yard was transformed into a very desirable development comprising four substantial detached dwellings.
The photos show the site before and after.